What does it mean to be versatile? Well, according to the New Oxford American Dictionary, to be versatile means to be “able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.”
To be completely honest, I didn’t know the “Versatile Blogger” award existed until Lauren nominated me. I guess I had never considered my blog to be versatile — mainly because I write about topics of interest to me and hope that maybe other people will find them useful.
First and foremost, I’d like to thank Lauren from Thoughts on my Bookshelf for nominating me for the “Versatile Blogger” award. Cue Taylor Swift’s shocked face.
In December, I graduated from the University of Minnesota’s School of Journalism with a degree in public relations. During the daunting and grueling job search, which is currently in progress, I decided to blog as a means of furthering my writing skills. I write with the mission to tell people about things I love (Insert ABC’s “Castle”) and why they’re relevant to my life. Little did I know, someone actually cares about what I write.
Let’s get down to business. Once again, thank you, Lauren, for nominating me. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts about various books, especially since one of my three-month goals is to read a book every two and half weeks. I’m looking forward to reading “11/22/63” by Stephen King after I finish “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” series.
And, now to the next part — let’s get to know each other, or let’s get to know me.
1. In school, my professors would stress establishing your own brand personality. As a result, I would describe my own personal brand to be the intersection of Tina Fey, Jillian Michaels and Bethenny Frankel — humorous, driven and honest.
2. I’m OBSESSED with all things television — scheduling, programming, plots, renewals, ratings, advertisements, placement — you name it, I’ve probably watched it and had a conversation about the characters and potential plots… as if I know these people (Hello, Castle & Beckett!). I become consumed by all the possible scenarios that will play out — how they will factor into the overall series. Let me stop now, or else this bullet could get lengthy.
3. I live a mere 20 minutes from the largest shopping mall in the United States — Mall of America. When most people say they’re “going to the mall,” they mean a building in which a Banana Republic, Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body Works amongst many other stores reside. But the Mall of America has one, if not two, of these stores and has many specialty stores — one of my personal favorites being Rybicki Cheese where you can purchase cheese curds.
4. Growing up, I played fastpitch softball and was a pitcher. My summers were spent at the softball field, and consider them to be some of my best memories. While playing, some of my greatest friendships were made on the softball diamond and I’ve learned some of life’s best lessons there, too.
5. I’ve watched every episode of Castle countless times — by countless, I literally mean it would be difficult for Nielsen Ratings to track those numbers. No shame here.
6. I have three cocker spaniel dogs, and while they all have their given names — Phoebe, Kasey and Louis — I like to give them other, really random nicknames. For example, Louis soon became Mary Louis Parker, which was shortened into Mary, and then as I said Maria while watching “Dancing With the Stars” the dog responded. And another nickname was born.
7. I LOVE to randomly break out into dance — music or no music — I will dance as long I as I can make someone laugh, even at the most inappropriate times.
Now that you know seven versatile facts about me and my life, let’s get to the good stuff — 15 blogs that should be noted for their versatility.
- 29 Weeks — Modern-day letters about life while her “person” (Please note: Grey’s Anatomy reference) is at basic training
- As Told By Brianna — Music, Life, School, Beauty Products — It’s nice to know someone else is going through similar life scenarios
- Bucket List Publications — Go to the far corners of the earth in the comfort of your home — inspirational — Live vicariously through these posts
- TVLine — It doesn’t take much to realize I LOVE TV and this blog fuels my obsession
- WomeninPR — As a recent PR graduate, I want to learn everything about the field and what better way than getting it directly from those in the PR trenches?
- thoughts on my bookshelf — I’m not sure if this is appropriate because Lauran nominated me but I aspire to read all of these books based on Lauren’s detailed and vivid descriptions. Publishers should thank her for the promotions.
- Wepa! Zumba With Me! — As I said, I love randomly dancing, but I love Zumba-ing even more. Great Zumba blog!
- ESTHER VICTORIA1996 — I was drawn to this blog for, specifically, one line, “There is a huge difference between cheering someone up and making people happy.” It’s open for interpretation.
- wordpressdotwordpressdot — Thoroughly enjoyed the post “Come back, childhood!”
- yourhealthychicks — I love consuming all things health and fitness related — how do these things fit into other people’s lives? How does it change them for the better? Transformation, it’s a present event not a future activity.
- itinerantblogger — “Why We Eat Lunch Alone” Love the insight.
- COLOMBOD2 — Just discovered this blog, but I’m already in love with the first post I read, “‘You Don’t Crave Broccoli, Our Generation Has Grown Up Craving a Big Mac.” It’s about an HBO documentary that I MUST watch titled, “The Weight of the Nation: Confronting America’s Obesity Epidemic.”
- Pink Elephants — I’m attracting to the colors of this blog, then come to read a play on colorful words.
- Now I Do! — One woman’s journey to eating clean and getting fit. You go, girl!
- Skinny Fat to Fit — Zumba, Birchbox, Food — You had me at Zumba, but the rest is the cherry on top.
Versatile Blogger Award Rules:
If you are nominated, you’ve been awarded the Versatile Blogger award.
- Thank the person who gave you this award
- Include a link to their blog
- Select 15 blogs/bloggers that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly
- Nominate those 15 bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award
- Finally, tell the person who nominated you 7 things about yourself