Not a professional dancer? Never taken a dance class? Afraid you’ll never be able to salsa or merengue?
Well, here’s some good news for you. I am neither a professional dancer nor have I ever taken a dance class. While many young girls laced up their ballet slippers and twirled across the dance floor, I laced up my softball cleats and headed out to the softball field in hopes of striking out my opponents. And guess what, I can salsa, merengue and get a completely different workout. The best news of all–You can, too!
A 45-minute Zumba dance session can burn between 400 to 500 calories, according to Shape Magazine. While the moves are repetitive, it’s a great cardio workout paired with fun, upbeat music. To be honest, I often forget I am working out.
“The moves are very simple and repetitive so all you have to do is listen and follow the instructor,” said Julie Kelly, a Zumba instructor and certified trainer, according to Shape Magazine. “Zumba really works your core because the Latin dance moves specifically target the abdominal area.”
Still not convinced? Here are three of my favorite Zumba workouts from YouTube:
1. “On The Floor” by Jennifer Lopez
2. “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5 Featuring Christina Aguilera
3. “Waka Waka (Time For Africa)” by Shakira
Are you convinced now?
Let’s get active and celebrate our bodies! If you miss a step, laugh it off and keep going.
For more information on Zumba, visit the official Zumba website.
Zumba in the media:
- People magazine highlights Zumba fans who slimmed down to half their size thanks to Zumba classes
- Zumba named one of the top 10 fitness trends for 2012, according to USA Today
- Kathie Lee and Hoda Kotb from NBC’s “Today” show held their own Zumba dance party at Rockefeller Plaza